16.1 C
Delhi
Thursday, December 2, 2021

Incredible! 1000X lighter, 20 carat gold nugget that floats over milk foam

Must read

Crew-3 includes Kayla Barron, Raja Chari, Tom Marshburn, Matthias Maurer!

A SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule carried four astronauts to ISS. The crew landed on ISS 11 November 2021 at 02:03:31 at UTC. This capsule...

Nvidia’s latest technology employs artificial intelligence to match spoken lines to animated faces!

Nvidia is most known for its hard-to-find graphics cards, but the company also produces some intriguing software. The noise-reduction feature known as RTX voice,...

The US President Plan B for climate crisis will be challenging to pull off!

The current President of the US and Democrats in Congress are trying to find other ways to cut the US emission. Both stand to...

Fossils of Giant Sea Scorpion Discovered in China, Occupied Marine Environment 400 Million Years Ago

The recent discovery of a giant-sized fossil has intrigued everyone. A five-inch scorpion fossil has surfaced recently, and it also resurfaces the historical information...
- Advertisement -

In a breakthrough, researchers have developed world’s lightest gold nugget that is lighter than water and in fact, it is nearly as light as air. The 20 carat gold foam is so light that it can float on milk foam, scientists demonstrated it. According to its developer, the newly made gold foam is nearly 1,000 times lighter than all the known conventional forms of the gold.

What’s special about the new lightweight gold nugget is that although it is as light as air but one cannot differentiate between the heavy gold and this lightweight gold by naked eyes.

- Advertisement -

Designing such thing was a daunting task and lead researcher Raffaele Mezzenga, Professor of Food and Soft Materials at ETH Zurich, came up with an idea and worked upon it. He knew that for a nugget to be 1000 times lighter than the conventional methods, the internal structure should be mostly empty. So, study authors made a porous structure by using a three-dimensional mesh which contains only 2 percent metal while the rest 98 percent is air. The resulting compound was an aerogel that is very delicate and malleable by human hand.

While explaining the composition of 2 percent metal, researchers said that four-fifth part is pure gold while remaining one-fourth part is milk protein fibres that makes it a 20 carat gold nugget.

Another crucial step was to create a porous material. Researchers formed the aerogel by creating nanometre-fine protein fibre and mixing it with the solution of gold salt. Nanometre-fine protein fibres are made by heating the milk proteins. According to Raffaele Mezzanga, these protein fibres form a crystalline structure with the gold salt and gives a solid gold like appearance while it is 1000 times lighter than normal gold.

For drying the aerogel, researchers exposed the content with Carbon Dioxide that slowly absorbed the moisture without causing any harm to the mixture and gold composition. We can alter the colour of the gold nuggets by changing the size of gold salt while mixing it nanometre-fine protein fibre.

The study was published in the journal Advanced Materials.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Crew-3 includes Kayla Barron, Raja Chari, Tom Marshburn, Matthias Maurer!

A SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule carried four astronauts to ISS. The crew landed on ISS 11 November 2021 at 02:03:31 at UTC. This capsule...

Nvidia’s latest technology employs artificial intelligence to match spoken lines to animated faces!

Nvidia is most known for its hard-to-find graphics cards, but the company also produces some intriguing software. The noise-reduction feature known as RTX voice,...

The US President Plan B for climate crisis will be challenging to pull off!

The current President of the US and Democrats in Congress are trying to find other ways to cut the US emission. Both stand to...

Fossils of Giant Sea Scorpion Discovered in China, Occupied Marine Environment 400 Million Years Ago

The recent discovery of a giant-sized fossil has intrigued everyone. A five-inch scorpion fossil has surfaced recently, and it also resurfaces the historical information...

Onions have been connected to a growing salmonella outbreak around the US!

CDC has recently said that fresh whole onions have been connected to a growing salmonella outbreak around the US. Fresh entire red, white, and...